httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Hughes" <sc...@renshawauto.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Help, Please
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2006 19:33:25 GMT
Thanks Christopher.  Since I am still in the dev stage on this server, I think I will simply
delete the user account and home directory, then re-add the user, set the permissions as you
suggest, reload the test site content and give it a go.

Thanks,

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: cristopher pierson ewing <cewing@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:06:54
To:users@httpd.apache.org, scott@renshawauto.com
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Help, Please

Linux filesystem permissions have three components, user, group, and
other.  It should be possible to set the folder/file owner name to be the
user who is wanting to write/read files in the www folder using chown.
Then you can set the group for the folder to the group that the apache
process belongs to using chgrp.  Then give the user read/write permissions
and the group read only permissions.

So, if user 'tom' has a www folder and the apache process is run by group
'www' run

$ chown tom:www www
$ chmod 744 www

this will allow the www group read access to the www folder, and will
allow tom read,write and execute permissions

> A while after I sent this message I ran across a site that told me just that.  When it
still didn't work, I realized it was also a directory permissions issue.

> After working with the permissions (linux system) I was able to access the pages.
>
> Now I find that the user cannot update or create new pages or directories.  I think I
over-did the permissions just a bit.

> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Scott

as the DocumentRoot statement inside your virtual hosts blocks, you nearly always have to
add a <Directory> statement permitting access to that place.
For example, I have:
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

On 08/12/06, Scott Hughes <scott@renshawauto.com: <mailto:scott@renshawauto.com>
> wrote: Hello,

I am attempting to set up a vhost machine using CentOS.

The issue I am having is with the user's home directories (where the pages are being server
for
each site).  Example:  The user's site is
> www.example.com: <http://www.example.com>   and they have a home directory
called 'example'.  Inside thier home directory is a directory called 'www'.

Long story short, I have added the vhost part to the httpd.conf and the directory statement.
I get
the message in the error log that "Permission is denied for /index.htm".

If anyone needs any additional information, please ask.

Thank you.

Steve Swift