httpd-users mailing list archives

From allan juul <al...@muly.dk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] determine cache or no cache of dynamic content
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2006 22:24:26 GMT
hi Joshua,

thanks for the quick reply

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 12/9/06, allan juul <allan@muly.dk> wrote:
>> how can one determine if a certain request is actually served from the
>> cache and not the backend from where it originally came from ?
>
> Check the Age HTTP response header.  If the proxy sends this header
> with a non-zero value, it is using the cache.

in other words, if no AGE is set, i can assume our disk cache is ignored
? but why does it fill the cache then if it's not going to use it ?

> Note that the response headers from your backend don't seem to give
> much lee-way for caching with only 2 seconds difference between the
> date and expires header and you have no HTTP/1.1 caching stuff
> (cache-control).
>
> Joshua.

i see what you mean, hmm, what would be normal Expires difference be (an
hour or so)?

Is it actually possible to ignore it completely, something like?

  CacheIgnoreHeaders Expires
  CacheDefaultExpire 86400

./a