httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is there a way to limit a site's simultaneous access?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:03:35 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> No.  Run multiple instances of httpd against different IP addresses.
>>>
>>> There's no way to decide about accepting per-named-host.
>> There are some third party modules that can do it.
>> I only wrote for apache 2, but there is equivalents in apache 1.
>
> Let me clarify - it's possible through a third party or write-your-own
> module to decide if a given host should be processed or rejected with
> a 5XX error.
>
> But it's not possible to control which of many pending connections the
> server will accept() next by name, because the name is one of the http
> header fields that can only be parsed once the connection -is- accepted.
>
> By IP address and/or multiple instances, it's possible to throttle the
> number of pending and accepted connections, because it's not dependent
> on inspecting the http headers.

Seen that way, your answer is right.
However, i think the question was more about trying to avoid some site
using most of the apache childs for itself. That's why he asked about
"limit a site" (refering to a vhost).

Trying to limit in the way of ip address, will be similar in attemping
to avoid a DoS attack.