httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Lynch" <...@l-i-e.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MPM prefork
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:22:07 GMT
On Thu, December 14, 2006 11:09 am, Grant wrote:
> I use mod_perl and I can't use a threaded perl.  Does that mean I
> can't use a threaded apache2?

I don't know, but I suspect your analysis is correct.

mod_php also has issues with thread safety that makes MPM in anything
other than pre-fork problematic.  Actually, PHP core is probably
fairly safe, but the bulk of the fun stuff is in the extensions, and
some are thread-safe (they think) and some are not.  So you *might* be
able to run, but you'd have to do a LOT of testing under load and
real-life conditions, and you'd still not be very certain that there's
no thread-safe issue to bite you.

Assuming mod_perl is more or less the "same" in terms of thread-safety
issues, if Perl isn't threaded, then you probably don't want to risk
it, unless you can do extensive testing.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?