httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sean Conner <...@conman.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Too Many Open Files
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:20:46 GMT
It was thus said that the Great Kerry Wilson once stated:
> I am getting the following critical error throughout my log files:
>
> (24)Too many open files: /var/www/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to
> check htaccess file, ensure it is readable
>
> /var/www/.htaccess does not exist
>
> I suspect the problem is caused b/c the server has reached the maximum
> open files limit for some reason
>
> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max yields 206302
>
> This problem is occurring on one of our newer servers which only has
> about 20 vhosts on it, our other server is working fine running 100+
> vhosts, despite less RAM and a file-max setting of 157284 and all the
> sites are running on the same CMS system ( internally developed ).  Has
> anyone encountered this error before?

  Yes.  You'll want to run "ulimit -a" and check the value for open
files---you'll see this is less than the file-max value.  What I've done is
modify the startup script for apache (on my system, it's /etc/init.d/httpd)
to add:

	ulimit -n 8192

just before starting the web server.  This increases the allowed open files
for the webserver from the default (1024)---and this will *only* apply to
the webserver.

  -spc (Which solved the problem for me)