httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Hughes" <sc...@renshawauto.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Help, Please
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2006 17:43:40 GMT
Thanks for the response Steve!

A while after I sent this message I ran across a site that told me just that.  When it still
didn't work, I realized it was also a directory permissions issue.

After working with the permissions (linux system) I was able to access the pages.

Now I find that the user cannot update or create new pages or directories.  I think I over-did
the permissions just a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steve Swift" <steve.j.swift@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:13:29
To:users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Help, Please

Each time you add a new place in your filesystem that will be referenced by apache, such as
the DocumentRoot statement inside your virtual hosts blocks, you nearly always have to add
a <Directory> statement permitting access to that place.
For example, I have:
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

On 08/12/06, Scott Hughes <scott@renshawauto.com: <mailto:scott@renshawauto.com>
> wrote: Hello,

I am attempting to set up a vhost machine using CentOS.

The issue I am having is with the user's home directories (where the pages are being server
for
each site).  Example:  The user's site is
www.example.com: <http://www.example.com>   and they have a home directory
called 'example'.  Inside thier home directory is a directory called 'www'.

Long story short, I have added the vhost part to the httpd.conf and the directory statement.
I get
the message in the error log that "Permission is denied for /index.htm".

If anyone needs any additional information, please ask.

Thank you.