httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2 vhosts with same file names - Apache only uses one file
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:34:26 GMT
On 11/30/06, Earl, Robert(IT) <Earl.R@emssatcom.com> wrote:
> I am using apache 1.3 with a default install on windows XP.

That's mistake number 1.  The 1.3 series on win32 is not recommended.
Using 2.2.3.

> Pretty much the only mod to the apache config I did was set the php
> parameters (using as a module, not cgi), and the vhosts. Have each vhost
> point to their own document root. Below is an example of how I set the
> vhosts. I set vhost1 in the hosts file. That's about it.
>
> <VirtualHost emp2>
>     ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
>     DocumentRoot c:/home/http/vhost1
>     ServerName vhost1
>         <Directory "c:/home/http/vhost1/">
>                 Options All
>                 AllowOverride none
>                 Order allow,deny
>                 Allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
>     ErrorLog logs/vhost12-error_log
>     CustomLog logs/vhost1-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> As I said, I have seen this happen before at a company I used to work
> for as well, but we were using mod_perl. They had set up a single server
> with multiple vhosts for developers. It ended up in chaos because a perl
> module in one vhost would end up being executed in the other vhosts.
> It's not a problem except for files that are named the same.

This simply doesn't happen with a default install of apache.  We would
have heard lots of reports if this was possible.

Try setting up apache without php and see if you get the same problem.
 Perhaps your php scripts are accessing the wrong files, or perhaps
you are using some kind of php caching that messes things up.

Otherwise, I worry a little about your use of non-fully-qualified
hostnames.  Perhaps your browser is switching hostnames for some
reason.

Joshua.