httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Total response time
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:47:49 GMT
On 11/21/06, Filip Kolendo <filip.kolendo@primesoft.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to log into access log the Apache total response time.
> I mean from the very moment the request was received (even if it must
> wait to be processed for example due to lack of free threads...), to the
> moment the response was prepared and sent.
>
> If it matters my configuration is Win 2003/PHP5.0.5 (CGI)/Apache 2.0.48.
>
> I record the processing time within the PHP scripts and I observed that
> there is an additional time (even a few seconds) not used by the PHP
> scripts.
> I guess it is either a network traffic (rather unlikely) or a time
> Apache needs to: start processing the request (queuing the requests?),
> start the CGI environment, close the CGI env., send the CGI result to
> client...
>
> Any suggestions how can I investigate it more deeply?

The time logged by mod_log_config in %D will be more accurate than
that because it is from the moment the request is received by apache
to the moment the log is written after the request is sent.  There is
no way for apache to measure any time spent waiting in the
ListenBacklog for a free apache process to become available, since it
doesn't have any info on that.  You would need to measure that from a
proxy in front of apache or something like that.

Joshua.