httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 Memory Usage
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:50:19 GMT
On 11/20/06, Strader, William A. <WILLIAM.A.STRADER@saic.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right place to be asking but I thought I would try.
>
> OK I am running Fedora Core 6 with Apache 2.2.3 (installed via yum).  The
> server has 1.5gb RAM on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz (2666 MHz).  What
> I am running into is I am getting like 12 or more httpd processes running.
> Each processing using approximately 120mb RAM.  I am running the system with
> prefork.c and here is the configu statement I have for it:
>
> <IfModule prefork.c>
> StartServers       2
> MinSpareServers    3
> MaxSpareServers   10
> ServerLimit      256
> MaxClients       256
> MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
> </IfModule>
>
> I also have this line in my config:
>
> MaxMemFree 30720
>
> Now can anyone know me why I have so many httpd processes running at a given
> time and why is each process using such a large amount of RAM.
>
> The number of sites I am running on the server is 7 domains and 4 sub
> domains so a total of 11 sites.  Any advice you can give me in helping me
> possible reduce the amount of ram the system is using would greatly be
> appricated.

12 httpd processes does not seem at all unusual, given that you allow
up to 10 spare (inactive) processes, plus the parent (control) process
and perhaps a piped-logger or something like that.

What is unusual here is memory requirements of 120MB per process.
This is at least 10 times what you would expect in a standard install.
 It implies that you are running some modules (mod_perl or similar)
that are gobbling up tons of RAM.  You should isolate which module is
doing that and see if you can fix it.

Joshua.