httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Installing mediawiki with short urls
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:14:04 GMT
On 11/13/06, Daniel Giron <daniel.giron@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed mediawiki on an installation of Apache 2.2.0.
> By default, wiki urls are of this form:
> http://hostname/wiki/index.php/$1
> I wish to shorten it to http://hostname/wiki/$1 and have read several help
> documents on the web about this.
> I used this RewriteRule: ^(.+)$ /index.php/$1 [L,QSA] inside the wiki
> directory in my httpd.conf .
> Now, after getting 500 errors, I turned on RewriteLog with RewriteLevel 4,
> which gave me some output from mod_rewrite.
> Unfortunately, what I saw was that it's been running the rule in a loop
> until getting to the limit of internal redirects (by default 10).
> Does it mean that the L directive is not working correctly?
> Or did I miss something when copying the exact example I saw on several
> sites?
> I have also tried to change it around by adding /wiki/ in the beginning and
> such, but each time
> it either didn't work at all, or it went into an endless loop.
> Hope somebody can give me some insight into this problem.

Sometimes apache needs to perform a sub-request to serve the request.
Whether this happens depends on the exact context of the RewriteRules.
 You can probably fix it either by adding the [NS] (no sub-request)
flag to the RewriteRule, or by specifically excluding requests that
include index.php
RewriteRule !/index.php /index.php/%{REQUEST_URI} [L]

(The QSA is not necessary since the query string is automatically
appended unless you specifically modify it.)

Joshua.