httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2 webserver tuning
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:57:34 GMT
On 11/13/06, Joel Mandapat <joel@chikka.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> please help in tuning my apache webserver.
>
> My hardware specs are
> AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 248
> cpu MHz         : 2205.873
> cache size      : 1024 KB
>
> 2GB of RAM
> 10x100x1000 MB ethernet card (gigabit port capable)
>
> i have an apache 2.0.52 installed with php module.
> i need to load dynamic php pages.
> the goal is to maximize the server specs that i have.
> is it possible to accomodate 10,000 users all at the same time with this kind of hardware
specs?

Highly unlikely.  I've never tried a setup like that, but do you
really think one processor is capable of running 10000 simultaneous
memory- and processor-hungry php pages?  I doubt it.  A
very-well-tuned server with tons of memory could probably do 10,000
simultaneous static pages, but php is a whole different story.

> can you give me advice in what parameters to tweak in the the httpd.conf file.
> thanks.

Not really.  In reality, almost all the performance characteristics of
a problem like this are going to come from the programming of your php
pages.  Apache tuning will have little effect in comparison.  And in
any case, there is no way to give general advice.  Everything depends
on the exact details of your applications and load.

What general advice there is can be found at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html

Joshua.