httpd-users mailing list archives

From "alan aherne" <alan.ahe...@googlemail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Using HttpClient with Web Start - Security Error or Source not found Error ?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:07:05 GMT
Hi All,
I am trying to run a client application over webstart, where the
application uses HttpClient to get data from the server where it
was downloaded. But the access attempt results in the following
errors below.

Note:
HttpClient2 is my main class.
The jar file run's locally. Only fails when downloaded from the server
with Web Start.

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at test.HttpClient2.<init>(HttpClient2.java:25)
at test.HttpClient2.main(HttpClient2.java:17)
... 11 more
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.util.PropertyPermission
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.HashtableImpl read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.createFactoryStore(LogFactory.java:320)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:1725)
... 14 more

Q1.Are these security  errors or 'Unknown Source' errors. I have a
   jar file created with Jar-Fat from eclipse. The jar can be started locally
   with 'java -jar Http2.jar' so it must contain all its own source code.
   I also tested a home-made jar to be included inside my main jar and that
   was found. So I am thinking it is a security problem......

Q1. The jar file is unsigned but according to Web-Start white paper from
    Sun the jarfile should be allowed to "Use the network to access the
    host from which the application was downloaded", which I am trying to
    do. Also, the error accurs even when I only create an instance of
    HttpClient ( new HttpClient() ) without making any connections to
the server.
    Is this normal for HttpClient constructor to generate such an error?
    This leads me back to thinking the source is not found....

I am hoping to be able to keep the application unsigned although my next
step would be to try that and see what happens.
I have tried google and google-groups plus made many differnt tests.
But I am coming up blank at the moment so any pointers are help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Alan