httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel McBrearty" <danielmcbrea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] content negotiation by directory
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:05:20 GMT
that's what I'm thinking, Nick.

I'm wondering about using the content-negotiation to serve the
standard "index.fr.html", but then having mod-rewrite to transform
".fr.html" into the real path to file. I'd have to read up on the
order of processing, but IIRC that might work.

bit of a fiddle though. am I the only person to want this ... ?

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:08:17 +0100
> "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
>

> > What about mod_rewrite? Maybe something conditional on the
> > Accept-Language header?
>
> That'll work up to a point.  Specifically, the point of a yes/no
> decision as to whether a user accepts a language.
>
> But content negotiation is a bigger wheel to reinvent, because it
> supports not just yes/no, but also preferences such as "I read A
> and B, but prefer A, and at a pinch I also read C and D".
>
> Using mod_negotiation with map files - like Apache's own
> documentation is bundled - is a better solution.
>
> --
> Nick Kew
>
> Application Development with Apache - the Apache Modules Book
> http://www.apachetutor.org/

Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
www.engoi.com : the multi - language vocab trainer