httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Strader, William A." <WILLIAM.A.STRA...@saic.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 Memory Usage
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:14:38 GMT
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking but I thought I would try.

OK I am running Fedora Core 6 with Apache 2.2.3 (installed via yum).  The
server has 1.5gb RAM on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz (2666 MHz).  What
I am running into is I am getting like 12 or more httpd processes running.
Each processing using approximately 120mb RAM.  I am running the system with
prefork.c and here is the configu statement I have for it:

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       2
MinSpareServers    3
MaxSpareServers   10
ServerLimit      256
MaxClients       256
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
</IfModule>

I also have this line in my config:

MaxMemFree 30720

Now can anyone know me why I have so many httpd processes running at a given
time and why is each process using such a large amount of RAM.

The number of sites I am running on the server is 7 domains and 4 sub
domains so a total of 11 sites.  Any advice you can give me in helping me
possible reduce the amount of ram the system is using would greatly be
appricated.

Thanks,

Billy Strader
WebPool