httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Compiling Apache 2.2.3 - SuSe 10.1 64 bits
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 17:53:49 GMT
Rodolfo,

On Nov 4, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Rodolfo wrote:

> 1 - Follows the make output line immediately preceding the error:
>
> /opt/instalacao/apache/httpd-2.2.3/srclib/apr/include    -version-
> info 2:7:2
> -o libaprutil-1.la -rpath /opt/apache2/lib buckets/apr_buckets_pipe.lo

<...>

> /usr/lib/libexpat.la /opt/instalacao/apache/httpd-2.2.3/srclib/apr/
> libapr-1.la
> -lrt -lcrypt -lpthread -ldl
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format

You left off the start of that line, but we get the idea. It's the
command that links together libaprutil from its constituent
components, including /usr/lib/libexpat.la. This libtool helper file
points to the real library, which is probably libexpat.so.

It looks like your linker can't work with libexpat.so.

> 2 - abaout rum:  run
>
> $ file /usr/lib/libexpat.so

What I want you to do is run the file command on /usr/lib/
libexpat.so. The $ is the shell prompt, you don't actually type that.
Sorry if I was unclear about that. For instance, on my FreeBSD box:

[sctemme@sarlacc] httpd-2.2.3 $ file /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.6
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.6: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), not stripped

This tells us for which architecture and binary format your expat
library was intended.

>> An alternative for you would be to specify --with-expat=builtin to
>> the configure script. This should force the build process to use the
>> bundled copy of Expat rather than what it finds on the system.

I tested this alternative this morning: if you don't specify,
configure will find the installed copy of expat and prefer it over
the bundled one. However, the installed copy doesn't work for you, so
you might consider forcing configure to use the bundled copy.

S.