httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Arthur Kreitman" <a...@congruent.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Tuning the MaxKeepAliveRequests and KeepAliveTimeout http.conf parameters
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:50:29 GMT
This is for an isapi app on apache 2.2 using the broken 416293 mod_isapi
update on Windows XP.

I noticed a random but all to frequent (perhaps 1 or 2 or 3 for every
few hundred http requests) error from ap_core_output_filter (about line
903 in core_filters.c).   The error is an os 10054 "An existing
connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".   At the same time,
the client side would believe the server performed a premature socket
close.

I've discovered that I can change the frequency of this error by
manipulating the MaxKeepAliveRequests and KeepAliveTimeout parameters.

Regardless of the value of KeepAliveTimeout, if I set
MaxKeepAliveRequests to 1 (ie no keep alive) the error occurs for almost
80% or 90% of the http requests

If I don't set MaxKeepAliveRequests, which then uses the default value,
by setting KeepAliveTimeout between 60 and 90 seconds, the error
disappears.

My understanding of KeepAliveTimeout is that it plays with the socket
linger option.   What are the side effects of setting KeepAliveTimeout
to a high value?   What are the side effects of setting
MaxKeepAliveRequests to a high value?

Thanks

Art