httpd-users mailing list archives

From Todd Hivnor <spambox_98...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Limiting COPY method for WebDAV to one direction
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:50:27 GMT
Mark, thank for the clues. I guess I will need to tinker with OS-level file permissions to
solve this. I was hoping for a pure-Apache solution, and am a bit disappointed with the granularity
of control over COPY operations. But I can work around the issue using file level permissions.

Thanks for the clue.

Mark Lavi <mlavi@sgi.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}      st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui)
}                     Ah, you’ve changed the scope of your question. J

  So long as you leverage an Apache authorization module with user and group permissions,
I would think you could control permissions on who can do what per directory easily, but for
this solution, you would not give both groups WebDAV access.

  One group (read only) could browse the web server and download contents of the autogenerated
directory while the other group would be authenticated to have WebDAV privileges. It’s simpler
to manage and granular to the directory, but not exactly what you are asking for because not
both groups are given WebDAV permissions. So the read only group could not do a select all
files to download, much like a network drive operation, unless they used some sort of browser
enhancement.

  Configuration would be something like (I’m doing this off the top of my head for illustration,
please don’t expect to cut and paste this without syntax correction and adaptation for your
situation):

  <Directory "/www/docroot/projects/X">
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride None