httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Fox <rf...@nd.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts and SSL
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:35:13 GMT
You only need a separate IP for every virtual host if you are not using a wildcard certificate.
Wildcard certs cost a
little more, but they are good for all hosts within a particular domain. Then, you can run
all of your vhosts on port
443 with the same IP, and the cert will work for all of the vhosts.

Also, if you choose to go with a non-wildcard cert, you can actually run several virtual hosts
on the same IP, using
different certs for each vhost, but then you are forced to run SSL over a non-standard port.
At that point, you need to
tell Apache to listen on that port, and configure each of your virtual hosts to listen on
both port 80 and whatever port
you assign it for SSL transactions. SSL binds to a particular socket, so it's a combination
of IP + port number that is
unique.

And, it's always necessary to have a separate and complete set of configuration directives
for each port that a vhost
runs under.

Rob