httpd-users mailing list archives

From Domingos Parra Novo <domingosn...@terra.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2 webserver tuning
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:59:52 GMT
	Hiyas,

Xuekun Hu escreveu:
> How about 2000 simultaneous users? I plan to use DP Xeon platform with
> 8G ram and use Apache2.2.3 prefork.

	I've sent a message a few minutes ago, ranting about the mean of "XXXX
simultaneous users".

	In resume, if you're going to serve dynamic content (be it a PHP
script, CGI, SSI or the such), it is basically impossible to guess if
your machine able to handle that much users.

	If you're only talking about static content, then, that might be
doable. Personally, I would choose a "worker" model. :)

> Thx, Xuekun

Regards,

Domingos.

> On 11/14/06, Domingos Parra Novo <domingosnovo@terra.com.br> wrote:
>>        Hiyas,
>>
>> Joshua Slive wrote:
>> > On 11/13/06, Joel Mandapat <joel@chikka.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> >
>> > Highly unlikely.  I've never tried a setup like that, but do you
>> > really think one processor is capable of running 10000 simultaneous
>> > memory- and processor-hungry php pages?  I doubt it.  A
>> > very-well-tuned server with tons of memory could probably do 10,000
>> > simultaneous static pages, but php is a whole different story.
>>
>>        It also depends on what you call "10,000 users".
>>
>>        Like Joshua said, if you're talking about 10k simultaneous
>> users, thats
>> basically impossible to serve with only one server.
>>
>>        Some of our fastest apache machines (serving only static
>> content) are
>> usually able to deliver around 6,500 hits/sec at most. And we're talking
>> about quad Xeon machines, with 8 Gb of ram.
>>
>>        In counterpart, each of those machines serve at least a hundred
>> million
>> (static) requests per day, and usually much more then 5 million distinct
>> users per day.
>>
>>        As you can see, it all depends on your exact needs.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Domingos.
>>
>> --
>> Domingos Parra Novo