httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joel Mandapat <j...@chikka.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2 webserver tuning
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:53:54 GMT
Hi Joshua,
Thanks for ur reply.

The projection of the number of users of the php application is around
10K users.
I'm just wondering if tweaking of apache can help  me achieve those
numbers of users.

but i guess not.. T_T hehe..
im wondering about how to explain this to the php programmer.

can you give me some sample configurations that gave u a good benchmark
results?
thanks.

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Joel Mandapat <joel@chikka.com> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> please help in tuning my apache webserver.
>>
>> My hardware specs are
>> AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 248
>> cpu MHz         : 2205.873
>> cache size      : 1024 KB
>>
>> 2GB of RAM
>> 10x100x1000 MB ethernet card (gigabit port capable)
>>
>> i have an apache 2.0.52 installed with php module.
>> i need to load dynamic php pages.
>> the goal is to maximize the server specs that i have.
>> is it possible to accomodate 10,000 users all at the same time with
>> this kind of hardware specs?
>
> Highly unlikely.  I've never tried a setup like that, but do you
> really think one processor is capable of running 10000 simultaneous
> memory- and processor-hungry php pages?  I doubt it.  A
> very-well-tuned server with tons of memory could probably do 10,000
> simultaneous static pages, but php is a whole different story.
>

>> can you give me advice in what parameters to tweak in the the
>> httpd.conf file.
>> thanks.
>
> Not really.  In reality, almost all the performance characteristics of
> a problem like this are going to come from the programming of your php
> pages.  Apache tuning will have little effect in comparison.  And in
> any case, there is no way to give general advice.  Everything depends
> on the exact details of your applications and load.
>
> What general advice there is can be found at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html
>
> Joshua.

Joel M. Mandapat