httpd-users mailing list archives

From Domingos Parra Novo <domingosn...@terra.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2 webserver tuning
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:09:40 GMT
	Hiyas,

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Joel Mandapat <joel@chikka.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> i have an apache 2.0.52 installed with php module.
>> i need to load dynamic php pages.
>> the goal is to maximize the server specs that i have.
>> is it possible to accomodate 10,000 users all at the same time with
>> this kind of hardware specs?
>
> Highly unlikely.  I've never tried a setup like that, but do you
> really think one processor is capable of running 10000 simultaneous
> memory- and processor-hungry php pages?  I doubt it.  A
> very-well-tuned server with tons of memory could probably do 10,000
> simultaneous static pages, but php is a whole different story.

	It also depends on what you call "10,000 users".

	Like Joshua said, if you're talking about 10k simultaneous users, thats
basically impossible to serve with only one server.

	Some of our fastest apache machines (serving only static content) are
usually able to deliver around 6,500 hits/sec at most. And we're talking
about quad Xeon machines, with 8 Gb of ram.

	In counterpart, each of those machines serve at least a hundred million
(static) requests per day, and usually much more then 5 million distinct
users per day.

	As you can see, it all depends on your exact needs.

Regards,

Domingos.

--
Domingos Parra Novo