httpd-users mailing list archives

From mickg <mi...@mickg.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about mod_charset_light and mod_proxy_html
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 00:18:58 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:49:25 -0500
> mickg <mickg@mickg.net> wrote:
>

>> 2 questions:
>>> I think I'd have to play with that hands-on to figure it out
>>> with your attempted configuration.
>> Was that an offer :) If yes, please say so, and shell account will be
>> provided. (As the system is a VM, I will just clone it, and give
>> access to that, so, if you mess it up, no problem).
>
> Well it could be, if you have the budget for my time.
> That's your most expensive option.

Understood :)
>>> It might be worth trying
>>> mod_line_edit instead of mod_proxy_html.  You sacrifice the
>>> markup support, but in your case the markup isn't properly
>>> supported anyway, and you probably benefit from the fact that
>>> it is also unaware of charsets.
>>>
>> Hmm. Did not know about that module. Any idea where I can get
>> the .so ?
>
> Same place you get the mod_proxy_html.so.  Except I guess you
> got that from a third-party package.  I supply binaries and
> basic support to registered users.
>
>> Or an ubuntu package?
>>
>> Or how to compile the source, given a development environment?
>
> Read the apache docs on apxs.  You'll probably need an apache-dev
> package on ubuntu.  It's simpler than mod_proxy_html, because it
> doesn't rely on additional libraries.

Understood, will do. Thank you!
> I should add that today's correspondence has prompted me to blog
> about mod_proxy_html 3.0, which will enable you to fix that
> charset problem by aliasing an unsupported charset to a similar
> supported one (windows cyrillic is probably similar enough to
> ISO cyrillic - aka ISO-8859-5 - for that to work).  I'm inviting
> blog comments from anyone with great ideas for the next major
> release of mod_proxy_html.

Actually, I think the characters are different in the upper register.

What about letting mod_proxy do it's own transcoding, via iconv or
some such?
Maybe even a filter-architecture of it's own?
As in, given a match, apply this filter to it?
Although, that may be overkill for a simple matcher.

mickg