httpd-users mailing list archives

From mickg <mi...@mickg.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about mod_charset_light and mod_proxy_html
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:50:30 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:13:19 -0500
> mickg <mickg@mickg.net> wrote:
>

>> Overall, this is an attempt to transcode stuff before mod_proxy_html
>> munges it horribly, as it does not accept windows-1251.
>
> Firstly, that's not strictly true of mod_proxy_html.
> See Question 1 in the FAQ.  It probably doesn't help, but it might.
And it in fact, does munge it.

As in, it transcodes:
http://www.mickg.net/u16/mickg/ into UTF-8. W/out figuring out the
correct cyrillization. After conversion to UTF-8, there is now no way
to recover the correct alphabet, w/out messing with it via iconv.

For comparison, the non-proxied one is attached.

> Secondly, isn't windows-1251 just MS's bastardisation of Latin-1?
In the lower registers, yes. In the upper ones, no.
Because it is really Cyrillyc-1251.

> If so, mod_proxy_html should support it essentially correctly,
> as it'll default to that if no supported charset information is found.
> Which leads me to suspect a different configuration problem.
> What does mod_proxy_html verbose logging tell you?

[Mon Nov 06 19:15:07 2006] [info] [client 192.168.17.121] Content-Type is text/html
[Mon Nov 06 19:15:07 2006] [warn] [client 192.168.17.121] No usable charset information: using
old HTTP default LATIN1

Thank you in advance,

mickg