httpd-users mailing list archives

From charlene lee <charlenele...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Could I have some help on installing Apache SSL
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:59:03 GMT
Your guess is absolutely correct! I am running Linux Slackware 10.2.
  Where could I get hold of a copy of "openssl-dev package" and the "SSL library" please?
Could I find them on the www.openssl.org website?

  You mentioned "Ubuntu". Do you mean www.ubuntu.com?

Also if I want to implement digest authentication after installing Apache.

  Is it necessary to include the "--enable-auth-digest" directive during the Apache configuration
process?

  e.g.

  ./configure --enable-auth-digest --prefix=/home/httpd --enable-ssl --enable-module=so

  What if I failed to include the "--enable-auth-digest" directive during configuration process?
Will it be still possible to implement digest authentication after the installation?

  If I go to the ubunto website and found the files indicated by you:

  libssl
libssl-dev
openssl

  Are they compatible with Linux Slackware 10.2?
  Does it have a compatibility problem with any particular version of Linux, Apache, PHP and
mySQL?

  Do you by chance happen to know which version of PHP works best with which version of MySQL?

  Thanks in Advance.

  Sander Temme <sctemme@apache.org> wrote:
  Hey Charlene,

On Nov 19, 2006, at 7:48 PM, charlene lee wrote:

> It saids that it cannot find the Toolkit .
> configure: error: ... No recognized SSL/TLS toolkit detected.

There are two possibilities: your installation is lacking OpenSSL or,
if you are running Linux, it's lacking the openssl-dev package.

What we ship is mod_ssl, the module that wraps the HTTP protocol in
SSL or TLS encryption. We don't ship the SSL library itself, but
instead require that one is installed. We support OpenSSL and (I
think, but haven't tried) RSA ssl-c.

You don't tell us which platform you are using, but on Linux packages
tend to be split up into a user part (openssl in our case) and a
developer part. You need both and configure will fail with the above
message if it can't find the -dev package. For instance, on Ubuntu
you'll want

libssl
libssl-dev
openssl

installed before you build Apache.

> The steps I took to configure was I added the --enable-ssl command
> to the configuration step:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/httpd --enable-ssl --enable-module=so

That's spot on. If you have your OpenSSL installation installed
somewhere on your system but not in the default /usr or /usr/local or
so, you should point to it using --with-ssl=/path/to/your/openssl .

S.

--
sctemme@apache.org http://www.temme.net/sander/
PGP FP: 51B4 8727 466A 0BC3 69F4 B7B8 B2BE BC40 1529 24AF