httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Angus" <mdan...@psychtest.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 behind Linksys router
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:25:18 GMT
This is router setup -- not apache setup. It is described pretty well in the router docs, and
is the same for most LinkSys routers (in case you lost the docs to yours they post docs online
at linksys.com). Routers have an external IP address for the WAN -- which you can set, and
they have a local address (which you can also set, but which has a default of something like
192.168.1.1).

The router setup is accessed through your web-browser. Usually with linksys you enter an address
of http://192.168.1.1 into your browser and it accesses the router setup screen. What this
means is that the router's local address is 192.168.1.1 Note that in such a case your local
PC will use 192.168.1.1 (your router) as its gateway to the WAN.

What you do is set up your local Apache Server PC with a static local IP address (say something
like 192.168.1.10, and a gateway of 192.168.1.1). Then you enter the port forwarding part
of the router setup and forward (in this case) incoming port 80 to the local machine 192.168.1.10.
If you use SSL you need to forward port 443 to the server. If you have your own email server
or games.... you have to forward those ports.

Have a great day!

Bill Angus, MA
http://www.psychtest.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Daniel L. McGrew
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:14 AM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Apache2 behind Linksys router

  I have Apache2 on a Debian, Sarge computer.
  I'm behind a Linksys (WRT54GS)
  router. I've installed the packages to enable this
  computer (DELL Optiplex GX1)
  to be a webserver. I can run through the perfect
  debian server setup, but still
  have some questions.
  How do I make this server's webpages appear to be my router's IP?
  How do I make Apache2 use port 8080 instead of port 80?

  Is there a how to for doing this?

  My end objective is to be able to connect to this
  computer from other computers
  and be able to post, update webpages...
  I also hope to get larger hard drives and become
  a mirror site... as soon as I
  figure out 'how to' get this IDE raid working...
  enough of my drivel :-) ... thanks in advance for
  any help that you can provide...