httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth Svee <k.s.s...@usit.uio.no>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load Balancing using multiple network interfaces
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:29:35 GMT
[ nocturnal ]

> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a load balancing method where i can statically link
> clients to a certain vhost or ip and have that ip send the reply
> back to the client, so the traffic is going out on a different
> interface or ip-address.
>
> So far i've setup Apache with two ip-addresses in vhosts but each
> ip-address is on one physical network interface each. So what
> happens when i redrect people from example.com to data.example.com,
> which is using the second ip-address in vhosts, is that i get HTTP
> queries going in on the second ip-address for data.exet.nu but all
> response traffic from Apache goes out on the first interface and the
> first ip-address.
>
> Is this because i'm using two interfaces? Could this be solved if i
> just had put the second ip-address on the first interface?

This sounds more like a routing issue on your server. All traffic from
your box most likely go out through a default gateway. You'd need at
least one gateway-definition for each physical interface in the
routing table on your box to make it send traffic out through both
interfaces.

Rgds,
Kenneth Svee