httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Any problems deleting all "_default_" VirtualHosts?
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:46:16 GMT
On 10/29/06, ohaya@cox.net <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has tried deleting/commenting out ALL of the "_default_" VirtualHost
sections in httpd.conf/ssl.conf?

> Does doing this cause any problems with Apache?
>
> One of my colleagues has suggested that doing this helps secure Apache, because then
Apache wouldn't process any requests that don't match our other <VirtualHost> sections,
but my read of the Apache docs, e.g., http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/97-03-14, is that it
doesn't prevent Apache from processing requests not matching any VirtualHost sections, but
rather just causes Apache to process those requests from the "main server".

You are correct.  If a request doesn't match any NameVirtualHost
directive and doesn't match any _default_ <VirtualHost>, then it will
be served by the main server.

> Also, when we tried that (deleting the "_default_" sections), I *think* (but am not sure)
that we may have been seeing some behavior where Apache would "slow down", i.e., serve content
very slowly.

No.  It should make no difference in speed.

Joshua.