httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Confused about LimitRequestBody
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:06:45 GMT
On 10/16/06, Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the LimitRequestBody directive.
> I'm working with the latest versions of Apache 2.0 and 2.3.
> I added this line to my httpd.conf file in the main
> (server) section - not in a <Directory> container or any
> other container:
>
> LimitRequestBody  10
>
> I'm using none of the other Limitxxxx directives.
> Then I sent this HTTP request to the server:
>
> POST /cgi-bin/printenv?12345678901234567890 HTTP/1.1
>
> along with the other usual headers typical browsers send.
> I received a normal response from the CGI (Perl) script.
> I expected it to fail because the request is longer than
> 10 bytes - but it didn't.
>
> The printenv program returned these relevant headers:
>
> QUERY_STRING="12345678901234567890"
>
> REQUEST_URI="/cgi-bin/printenv?12345678901234567890"
>
> I get the same results when I place the LimitRequestBody
> directive in the DocumentRoot <Directory> container or
> the /cgi-bin <Directory> container.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I think you are looking for LimitRequestLine.

LimitRequestBody limits the ... uh... body ... of the request.  That
is, the part that comes after the request line and request headers.
In a POST, that is normally where you send data, not in the query
string as you do above.  See the HTTP spec for more details about the
terminology.

Joshua.