httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is KeepAlive applicable on HTTPS/SSL server?
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:51:28 GMT
On 10/13/06, Qingshan Xie <xieq_49@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi! All,
>
>    We have a 2.0.59 HTTPS server on Solaris 8.  After
> I turned on "KeepAlive On" and monitored it by
> mod_status, I did not see any connection in KeepAlive
> state.  Seems keepalive is not applicable on HTTPS/SSL
> server.  Can some one tell me if this is true and why?

KeepAlive (persistent-connections) and SSL can work fine together.
But many configurations (including the default) include something like
BrowserMatch ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
which turns them off for the majority of browsers.

Whether this dumbing-down is really necessary is an open question.
Some people report success without this config.

Joshua.