httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache access issue on high "traffic" web site
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:22:08 GMT
On 10/2/06, KLEIN St├ęphane <klein.stephane@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've high "traffic" web site. I've access issue.
>
> I use Apache version 2 on Debian.
>
> This is my prefork configuration :
>
> <IfModule prefork.c>
> StartServers        10
> MinSpareServers      5
> MaxSpareServers     10
> MaxClients          250
> MaxRequestsPerChild  0
> </IfModule>
>
> I've set MaxClient on 250, then I think than my Apache server can
> process 250 request at same time.
>
> This is my "top" result :

> As you can see, I've many apache 2 process which running but number is
> less than 250.
>
> My cpu level is always around 15% and I use very few swap memory.
>
> My network traffic is low.
>
> I've make some test with simple html file without script and I've same issue.
>
> All pages are fetch in one or ten minutes !
>
> Someone are one idea about my issue ?

Just because you don't see 250 processes at the top of the top display
doesn't mean they aren't all actively serving requests.  See the
server-status handler provided by mod_status to find out what your
processes are up to.  They could be waiting on some back-end resource
(disk, database, etc), or they could be waiting on keepalive
connections.  In the latter case, try lowering the KeepAliveTimeout in
httpd.conf.

Joshua.