httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] multiple vhosts on port 80 and port 443
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:32:41 GMT
Hi owen,

On 10/19/06, Boyle Owen <> wrote:
> The question is usually asked by people who haven't thought long enough
> about why they want to use SSL. They think because it's encrypted on the
> wire, that's already pretty good and having a valid cert is just a
> bureaucratic bonus.

nope, that was not the reason in my case.

we do have a production-server with several IP's and a cert for each

However, I wanted to set up a test-server in our company for development.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to assign different IPs to it.
Therefore, I wanted to create several NameBased VHosts for the same IP, all
using the same cert. I wouldn't bother about a "non-scure"-warning since
this would be for test and dev only.

Anyways, I couldn't get it running, still don't understand, why.

I always though, that, if I specify

NameVirtualHost test-aaa:80
NameVirtualHost test-aaa:443
NameVirtualHost test-bbb:80
NameVirtualHost test-bbb:443

<VirtualHost test-aaa:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName test-dom
<VirtualHost test-aaa:443>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName test-dom
<VirtualHost test-bbb:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName test-dom
<VirtualHost test-bbb:443>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName test-dom

where the hostnames are specified (either via dns or /etc/host), the
specific content would get served.

On my first try I couldn't connect at all, my best shot was, that
test-bbb:443 was serving test-aaa:443.

The config with only one SSL-host runs smooth except for the following

Forcing reload of web server: Apache2apache2: Could not determine the
server's fully qualified domain name, using for ServerName
[Thu Oct 19 18:11:47 2006] [warn] NameVirtualHost test-bbb:80 has no
apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using for ServerName
[Thu Oct 19 18:11:50 2006] [warn] NameVirtualHost test-bbb:80 has no

This warning is created after specifying

I'm tired of spending nights reading docs which are not too helpful at all
(I prefer this user-list and google, after all). I also don't have time to
hunt down this error, since my client wants me to create webapps rather than
having a smooth running test-server.

So I just gave up and live with it, since our production-server is running