httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Namebased Virtual Hosts
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:05:20 GMT
Hi Hoshua,

first, thanks for your explanations, however, I'm havin 2 questions:

On 10/17/06, Joshua Slive <> wrote:

You need only one NameVirtualHost directive for each IP-address/port
> combination.  And you should not use hostnames in NameVirtualHost or
> <VirtualHost>.  In a simple case like yours, you should use
> NameVirtualHost *:80

So what is the best practise to specify this NameVirtualHost-directive?  In
any file which contains the VirtualHost-directive (meaning one will contain
it, the others not? Or in httpd.conf?)

And in addition, your second and third ssl sites are not going to work
> properly.  You can only have one ssl site on each IP-address/port
> combination because the SSL certificate is selected before the
> hostname is known.

Well, what  is going to happen  if I do specify more than one SSL-site per
IP/port-pair? Do I just get the message that the cert is invalid (I could
pretty much live with that)?