httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHost + SSL certificate problem
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:23:01 GMT

It's called port-based virtual hosting - perfectly OK way of getting
more than one HTTPS site on the same IP (at the cost of having to
specify ":444" in the URLs).

> <VirtualHost *:444>
>     ServerName designasign.biz
>     ServerAlias www.designasign.biz
>     DocumentRoot /www/designasign.biz/
>     SSLEngine On

Move all the SSL certificate directives for this site in here, then it
should work.

>     <Location />
>         Order Allow,Deny
>         Allow from All
>         Options Indexes
>         AllowOverride None
>     </Location>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>   ServerName shopzeus.com
>   ServerAlias www.shopzeus.com
>     DocumentRoot /www/shopzeus.com/
>
>   SSLEngine On
>   SSLCertificateFile /www/certs/www.shopzeus.com.crt
>   SSLCertificateKeyFile /www/certs/shopzeus.com.key.pem
>   SSLCertificateChainFile /www/certs/sf_issuing.crt
>   SSLCACertificateFile /www/certs/sf_issuing.crt
>
>   <Location />
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
>   </Location>
> </VirtualHost>
>

> So in theory, HTTPS requests to port 444 use the default certificate
> (which belongs to designasign.biz) and HTTPS requests to port 443 use
> the www.shopzeus.com.crt certificate (which belongs to
> www.shopzeus.com).
>
> Everything seems fine, except that apache uses the default
> certificate
> for both sites. (You can test it, just go to
> https://www.shopzeus.com .)
> Is this a limitation in Apache? If not, what is wrong with my
> configuration? (I cannot find any error messages or warnings
> in the logs.)

As soon as you start using virtual hosts, give up the idea of a "default
server" and put all directives in a VH container for each server...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks,
>
>    Laszlo