httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Amador, Orlando M. [OBIPR]" <oama...@obipr.jnj.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Suppressing 403 log entries
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:40:05 GMT
Thanks for the response.

>However, it's a bit of a non-problem... if you don't like looking at
>403s, filter them out with a perl-script before you open the log file
>(from the docs, "...It is often easier to simply post-process the log
>files to remove requests that you do not want to consider...").

I read that statement also.  I find myself deciding how to handle this.
If the 403 log entries are many, it will increase the size of the log files
considerably.  This in turn increase the storage and log file processing
requirements.
In my case, we want to remove the 403 entries to a particular folder.  I
consider
a 403 response to that particular URL to be noise.  Of course, the amount of
request
to the folder are significant enough to make us look into suppressing them.

>Alternatively, remember that you can write logs to pipe so you can put a
>filter script there that discards 403s or whatever...
>(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#piped)

Ok, I also read about this, but it did not click until now.  Just pass
everything
except for the lines we do not want.  Thanks.

The other option is to filter at the logwatch level.  Logwatch is the tool
that
generate the reports about the 403 entries in the log file.  I'll look into
that documentation
to figure out how to filter there.  Let see which one is easier to implement
and maintain.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Saludos,
Orlando

Orlando M. Amador
Technology Lead
Ortho Biologics LLC
oamador@obipr.jnj.com
(787) 854-1800 x2294

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or
legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or
entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender,
so that Johnson & Johnson can arrange for proper delivery, and then please
delete the message from your inbox. Thank you.