httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tomasz Chmielewski <...@syneticon.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate in 2.2.3 - doesn't work properly for PHP - or does it?
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:59:42 GMT
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> Why doesn't Apache 2.2.3 show compression ratios for PHP pages?
>>
>> When I checked with Wireshark, the pages are indeed compressed.
>>
>> How can I make sure that the ratios are shown in the log?
>>
>> php.ini on both servers look exactly the same.
>
> This is weird.
> For some PHP pages, it shows compression ratio, and for some, it doesn't.
>
> This is a phpMyAdmin page:
>
> "GET /wiki/phpMyAdmin/index.php/test HTTP/1.1" 2963/13602 (21%)
>

> This is a MediaWiki page:
>
> "GET /wiki/index.php/test HTTP/1.1" -/- (-%)
>

> Both display a page in just one request.
>
> Any ideas what's wrong?

All right, it seems that MediWiki enables zlib compression in PHP.

         ## Compress output if the browser supports it
         if( !ini_get( 'zlib.output_compression' ) ) @ob_start(
'ob_gzhandler' );

Which one should I use? Apache's, or PHP's? Any pros/contras?

With Apache's compression, I get at least the nice ratios :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org