httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josiane BERNILLON <Josiane.Bernil...@ens-lsh.fr>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] sending .jpg on another box
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:35:03 GMT
Mike - EMAIL IGNORED a écrit :
> I have two boxes on my intranet each running
> Apache 2.0 under FC4.  My Linksys firewall directs
> port 80 to BoxA.  Both boxes are also running
> iptables, including libipq.
>
> BoxA has my html tree. I have a number of .jpg
> files, some as large as 10 meg.  The various
> directories containing the .html files contain
> soft links to the directories, in another tree
> containing, the .jpg files.
>
> All this is operated by a complex CGI, written in
> C++.  Most of the .html files the client sees are
> generated by this CGI.
>
> I would like to move the .jpg tree to BoxB,
> transparent to the client. In broad terms, how
> should I do this?  What should I read to get the
> particulars?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mike.

Maybe one way to this :

- let's say jour .jpg files are in /../......./imgs/ on BoxA
on BoxB:
- create a /../.../imgs2/ on BoxB
- copy your .jpg into .../img2/
- start an NFS server on BoxB (I don't work on FC4, but if you don't
know anytaing about NFS, you can  look here
<http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/NFSv4/NFSv4-no-rpcsec.html>
- share .../img2/ for BoxA

on BoxA
- create a .../.../imgs3
- mount .../img2/ on ..../img3/
- change your soft links in the html tree to .../img3/

No problem for users.

If they could wait some minutes, and if you have some BACKUP of your .jpg
on BoxA
- remove all .jpg from .../imgs/...
- mount .../img2/ on /imgs/
then you don't need to change soft links.

jobern