httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache-worker bugged child, cannot close connection
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:00:33 GMT
On 9/27/06, Albert Poon <albert@bigtearice.net> wrote:

> I am sure PHP4 was compiled threadsafe, because I had to recompile it when I
> switched from prefork to worker. I recompiled the PHP4 together with all
> extensions too. I have to use worker mpm because the server has limited RAM...

It's not simply a question of compiling php4 as threadsafe.  All the
supporting libraries that are used by php must also be threadsafe.
Here's what the php developers have to say on the subject:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

That is not to say it is impossible to run php with worker, but if you
haven't looked carefully at the thread-safety issue, then I certainly
wouldn't recommend it.  Stuck processes (especially when they are
stuck in pthread mutexes) can most certainly be a symptom of
thread-unsafe libraries.

Joshua.