httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache with ExtFilterDefine problem
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:15:16 GMT
On 9/22/06, host.md <oleg@molddata.md> wrote:
> Hi to all. I am running a site with free hosting on apache. Everything works
> fine..until some of our free users, by mistake runs some infinite loops. The
> current configuration of the apache is based on ExtFilterOutput, which sends
> all the output to a script in perl that adds some banners. The problem is
> when users by mistake, generate Gigs of output, back to client,  our server
> hangs. The perl script takes all the output that apache sends via <STDIN>
> and adds, as i said, the banner:
>
> #perl output filter
> $stdin=<STDIN>."some_banner_path_here";
> print $stdin;
>
> What happends here is that STDIN becomes very big, and perl script hangs,
> growings very large, in memory. How can i restrict apache not to generate
> that much information back to the client? I found nothing in internet about
> that. Maybe there are some other methods of adding some ads to html pages???
>
> If for you need some more details please tell me.

Simple solution: have your script count bytes and abort when it
reaches a certain number.

Even simpler solution: write your script in such a way that it isn't
buffering the entire request before sending it along.

More stable and performant solution: In place of mod_ext_filter, use
an apache module that doesn't involve forking a perl script to mangle
each request.  Examples of modules that can do this include
mod_publisher, mod_perl, mod_php, etc.

Joshua.