httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RPM upgrades from 2.0.54 to 2.0.59
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:03:58 GMT
On 9/14/06, D. J. Waletzky <dj@mediachannel.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone-
>
> I hope this is isn't too stupid a question, but is there any way I can
> avoid recompiling PHP if I upgrade Apache from 2.0.54 to 2.0.59 with an
> RPM package? I'm running a server on Fedora Core 3, and I'm really hoping
> I can just rpm -i the new version of apache without having to reinstall
> php.
>
> The reason I need to do this (and maybe this is another problem entirely)
> is because the server's traffic increased exponentially over the last few
> days and it seems to be running out of memory every night, if my
> /var/log/messages is to be believed. This is causing me to have to call
> the hosting company and have the thing rebooted every morning. I'm setting
> up a bunch more swap files, but does anyone have some better ideas than
> upgrading to 2.0.59 (or even 2.2.3) and increasing swap space?

Swap ain't gonna help you.  If you are really running out of memory,
you need to start by lowering MaxClients to a level that can be
handled by your server without running out of physical memory.  Then
you need to carefully analyze your traffic to see where the load is
coming from.  Only then can you start to look for solutions.  Likely
issues include slow database connections and otherwise power-hungry
php scripts.

All the configuration you do in apache will probably have a minimal
effect compared to tuning your php and database, but you can also look
here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html

Regarding your original question, the two versions are binary API
compatible, so there should be no problem.

Joshua.