httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Use of content negotiation with application/xhtml+xml
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:36:30 GMT
On 9/11/06, Nick Urbanik <nicku@nicku.org> wrote:

> 1. From
>    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html#naming I
>    expected that I would be able to ask for http://nicku.org/index and
>    get the negotiated content, and that I would not have to ask for
>    http://nicku.org/index.var
>
>    Is this understanding correct?

No.   That section applies to MultiViews, while you are using
typemaps.  It is probably possible to combine MultiViews and typemaps,
but I wouldn't recommend it because the interactions could be
complicated.  Rather, I'd suggesting renaming index.var to just index
and using ForceType/DefaultType or something like that to mark it as a
typemap.

> 4. Could there be any interaction between using SSI and content
>    negotiation together?

Yes, but you are probably safe using typemaps.  With MultiViews, you
need to make sure that the files are marked with their final
content-type, etc, before they are processed with SSI.

> 5. If I want the entire web site to use content negotion, do I need to
>    create a corresponding type-map file foo.var for each
>    foo.shtml/foo.sxhtml and foo.html/foo.xhtml pair? (I have written a
>    little Perl program to do that at
>    http://nicku.org/software/gen-type-map)

Yes.  There are other, more-complicated alternatives, of course.
(mod_rewrite is one possibility)

Joshua.