httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: FW: [users@httpd] use the apache as a proxy server with caching
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:17:44 GMT
On 9/7/06, Hasson Yehudit <Yehudit.Hasson@comverse.com> wrote:

> Someone can help me?
>
> I have some questions related to the configuration of apache 2.2.
> I am working on Unix and I want to use the apache as a proxy server with
> caching.
>
> I used --enable-proxy --enable-cache --enable-disk-cache
> #--enable-mem-cache
>
> 1) If both disk_cache and mem_cache are enable, when files will be kept
> on disk? What is the algorithm?

I've never tried, but my guess is that they will both try to cache
every file.  In other words, this is not a good idea.

> 2) What is better to use? Mem_cache or disk_cache?
> (I read some previous responses that disk_cache is faster because in
> mem_cache there is a memory For each thread), does it correct?

You've already heard the opinions on this.  In general, disk_cache is
better tested and will perform better with large cache sets.  Its
performance depends mostly on the efficiency of your OS buffer caches.

> 3) How can I config httpd.conf to support only disk_cache?
> My configuration goes as following, what is wrong with it?
> I ran the apache with this configuration, but the files were not cached
> in CacheRoot.

Is CacheRoot writable by the httpd User/Group?  Try turning LogLevel
to debug and running a cachable request.

Joshua.