httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] caching
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:36:40 GMT
On 9/6/06, carlesg@guellconsulting.com <carlesg@guellconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'm usig apache disk_cache for images in front of a plone site
>
>     CacheEnable disk /
>     CacheRoot "/data/cache/mod_proxy/zeo"
>     CacheSize 950000
>     ExpiresActive On
>     ExpiresByType image/gif A9600
>     ExpiresByType image/jpeg A9600
>     ExpiresByType image/png A9600
>
> After a few hous of clearing the cache some pages get cached in apache
>
>  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>   Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:11:14 GMT
>   Server: Apache/2.0.59 (Unix)
>   Set-Cookie: zforum_language="es_MX"; Path=/
>   Expires: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00 GMT
>   Pragma: no-cache
>   Age: 5224
>   Keep-Alive: timeout=30, max=500
>   Connection: Keep-Alive
>
> Why Is apache caching a text/html if this content type is not defined as
> ExpiresByType?

The cache can also key off the Last-Modified date to determine
freshness.  See the directive CachLastModifiedFactor.  That doesn't,
of course, explain why it would be caching explicitly expired content.

I suggest moving to 2.2, where mod_cache* is no longer experimental.
Much improvement has been made between 2.0 and 2.2.

Joshua.