httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] More from my httpd.conf file.
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:42:21 GMT
On 9/6/06, Leon Sargent <leonsargent@comcast.net> wrote:
>   UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's
> home
> # directory if a ~user request is received.
> #
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>      UserDir Documents
> </IfModule>
>
> I do not understand this.
>
> I don't understand who this works.

Ummm... This is for mapping a specific kind of request to the home
directories of your users.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/public_html.html

It sounds to me like you don't need this at all.

> In my .htaccess file I have all directories restricted from outside
> users unless there is an index.php or index.html file.
>
> So I gather that if I was on another computer on a differnet IP
> address I would use this.

No, it has nothing to do with that.

> Where can I find out the path I would use to gain access to my site
> from a remote site.

>From your network administrator who can give you the name of your
server.  Also see the Listen directive to know what port to use.

Joshua.