httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] URL Rewriting Question
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:39:40 GMT
On 9/6/06, Mark Phillips <mark@phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> I have a domain (call it test.com for the purpose of this question - it is not
> the real domain) parked with a domain name registrar.
> They provide free domain name forwarding.
>
> I have a server behind our firewall running apache 2.0 and zope/plone with a
> plone site (call it plone-site for this question). The server with plone-site
> and apache running behind our firewall has an internal address of
> 192.168.20.130. Zope listens on port 8080, apache
> listens on port 8081.
>
> The domain registrar forwards test.com to our firewall, which is
> 58.45.32.9:8081 (again, this is not the actual IP address - I just made
> this one up for this question).
>
> Our firewall forwards the request on port 8081 to the apache server
> listening on port 8081.
>
> The apache server forwards the request to the zope/plone server on port 8080
> (same physical machine).
>
> When I type www.test.com in a browser address bar, I get the plone-site as
> expected. However, the address bar displays 58.45.32.9:8081/plone-site and
> not www.test.com. I had hoped that with url rewriting and apache I could get
> www.test.com in the address bar.

This depends on what you mean by "the domain registrar forwards...".
If they are forwarding using an HTTP redirect (and that looks to be
the case), then there is nothing you can do to change the name.  You
can't lie to the browser about the site they are being asked to fetch.

What you should do is have the registrar change DNS settings to point
to your server instead of their redirector.  You will still have a
problem with the port, since people will, by default, come in on port
80.  You should set up your proxy on port 80 and then you can use a
proxying RewriteRule like what you suggested to hide the transfer
between your front-end and back-end servers.

Joshua.