httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Next part of my HTPD.conf file.
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:34:44 GMT
[Try a more descriptive subject line next time.]

On 9/6/06, Leon Sargent <leonsargent@comcast.net> wrote:
> Controls who can get stuff from this server.
>
> Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> I have looked this up but still do not understand what it means.
> Does it mean anyone can access my webserver?

Yes, assuming that they are not otherwise restricted.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/access.html

> Does this line from my >htaccess file override that.  Documents is
> where my website is located.
>
> <Directory   "lhsmarkets.com/Library/WebServer/Documents">
>      Order allow,deny
>      Deny from all
>      Satisfy All
> </Directory>

You cannot have a <Directory> section inside an .htaccess file.
(.htaccess files determine what directory they apply to by their own
location.)  In addition, the <Directory> section should contain an
absolute path (starting with a slash) relative to the root of the
file-system, not the webspace or DocumentRoot.

It looks to me that you are working off some lousy documentation
someplace.  Why not instead simply tell us what you want to do.

Joshua.