httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Turner" <Alex.Tur...@Project-Network.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Windows max threads
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:11:02 GMT
Joshua,

Thanks for you thoughts - I would have said the same thing.  I forgot to mention that the
max threads per child is set sufficiently high (200) to run 64 threads already :-(  Plus,
having max threads per child would not explain why apache takes several second (over 30) to
recover and why no pages were served at all under that load.  It would appear than opening
64 sockets at once to Apache just 'over whelms it'.

This issue is definitely more pernicious than just max threads :-((

Thanks

AJ

Alexander J Turner Ph.D.
www.deployview.com
www.nerds-central.blogspot.com
www.project-network.com

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@gmail.com [mailto:jslive@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joshua Slive
Sent: 12 September 2006 19:36
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: TPN POSSIBLE SPAM:Re: [users@httpd] Windows max threads

> I am load testing apache 2.2.3 on windows XP.  If I attempt to open 64 or more sockets,
it stops serving for a time then recovers.  I know this is not that the OS is running out
of sockets etc because TAG.net handle 256 sockets simultaneously without any trouble.

You probably need to raise ThreadsPerChild:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#threadsperchild

Unlike the unix version, apache httpd for windows does not dynamically
adjust to load.  You need to specify in advance (using
ThreadsPerChild) how many clients will be served.

Joshua.