httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RPM upgrades from 2.0.54 to 2.0.59
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:11:37 GMT

On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:33 AM, D. J. Waletzky wrote:

> The reason I need to do this (and maybe this is another problem
> entirely)
> is because the server's traffic increased exponentially over the
> last few
> days and it seems to be running out of memory every night, if my

Further to Joshua's recommendation to adjust your MaxClients setting,
you may have a memory leak in your setup that causes your httpd
processes to bloat up as they serve requests. You should be able to
see that happen in your 'top' display.

Consider using the MaxRequestsPerChild directive to limit the
lifespan of your httpd processes. Start with a very low value (like
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000) and see if that causes the problem to go
away. Then, play with this directive and MaxClients until you arrive
at a combination that keeps your server alive.

A server with fewer httpd child processes can serve fewer concurrent
requests, and may be slower, but a slightly slower server is better
than a dead server! Your operating system should never, ever have to
swap. Once the OS goes into swap, your server is as good as dead.

S.