httpd-users mailing list archives

From apacheuser...@aim.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_mem_cache question...
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 02:37:01 GMT
 Thanks Joshua. My apache setup talks to tomcat using mod_ajp. One last question on the behavior
of Apache. Say, there is a page that is in the cache which has expired. A client makes a request
for that page. Apache looks in the cache, finds that the content has expired so contacts tomcat
to fetch a fresh page. Lets say that the fetch takes 10 secs. In those 10 secs, if there are
additional requests for that same page would apache send all those requests to tomcat increasing
the load on tomcat ?

 Thanks again for the help.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: joshua@slive.ca
 To: users@httpd.apache.org
 Sent: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 7:24 PM
 Subject: Re: [users@httpd] mod_mem_cache question...

  On 9/1/06, apacheuser123@aim.com <apacheuser123@aim.com> wrote:

 > Thanks Joshua for the quick reply. Guess this means using mod_mem_cache will
 > not give me the best cache hit/miss ratio as compared to mod_disk_cache ?
 >
 > Is the way I have configured apache wrong ? Is it possible to run only 1
 > instance of httpd on a box to maximize the cache hit/miss ratio ? Would this
 > approach cause other problems ? Is there any other MPM I should look at ?

 Sure, you can set ThreadsPerChild equal to MaxClients (and
 MaxSpareThreads equal to ThreadsPerChild and MinSpareThreads equal to
 0). This is how apache on windows works. But it does not allow any
 adjustment to load, nor does it allow the server to recover very
 gracefully to faults in modules.

 > I will look into mod_disk_cache as well..but can you please help me with
 > the above questions...Thanks in advance...

 mod_disk_cache is better tested, and probably more performant. So I'd
 just go with that unless you have a very specific reason not to.

 Joshua.