httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Internet Explorer : Adding Apache Reverse Proxy toTrusted Sites improves SSL performance
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 05:33:03 GMT
ABAPGUY wrote:
> Hi all,
> experimenting with speeding up https performance I
> added our Apache Reverse Proxy to the Trusted Sites in
> Internet Explorer ..and suddenly https performance
> increased . I expect this was due to the browser
> suddenly using Low Security settings and I guess could
> experiment with the Security Settings 1 by 1 to find
> out which one impacted performance positively ..but
> just in case someone has done this already ...any
> ideas which setting(s) in IE might be responsible ?
> P.S. I already had use HTTP 1.1 clicked for both
> direct and proxy connections .

I hope not.  A trusted site could demand strong cryptography, if that's
what you hit I'd strongly encourage you to notify Microsoft, and now that
you've published it, bugtraq.

That said, and without time to research on my own, I'd suggest it isn't
very likely.  You can add the ciphersuite in use to the various log
fields for your successful requests, to see if a weaker one is really
in use.

But mostly likely, Trusted Sites requires stronger identification of the
target machine, not weaker, and therefore you are probably seeing lag from
forward and reverse DNS lookups occurring to try to catch DNS cache
pollution.