httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running Apache with DocumentRoot on a Mapped Drive
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:16:52 GMT
Williams, Dewey wrote:
> I have tried to do this for years and it always fails.  I keep hoping a
> version of Apache httpd for Win32 will finally recognize mapped drives
> but so far, no matter how I setup permissions and accounts, it doesn't
> work.
>
> If anyone has this working and can walk "us" through the steps I know I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Remember you aren't living in the GUI.  You don't have explorer.exe in
place as a service, so your environmental consideration are missing.

NOW - it's rather trivial if you

 1. set your run-as account to an authorized file user of those network
    resources (workgroup, or nt domain member).  NEVER use LocalSystem
    aka SYSTEM account for this purpose, or change it's permissions.

 2. use absolute file syntax instead of drive letters.  E.g., for S:
    mounted from \\bigbertha\cdrive\ copy of htdocs, you would use

    Alias /docs/ //bigbertha/cdrive/htdocs/

    and the same, for the <Directory > sections, DocumentRoot, etc.